The Sweater that launched a thousand funks

You might remember the Sea Princess Sweater that I made for the Kiddo. It’s pink…very pink. I was super proud of how it came out. The Kiddo loved it. Even though it was probably a bit too warm out to be wearing a wool sweater, she wore it every chance she could get.


Although it’s a washable wool, it still needed to be handled with care. I washed it a couple times  – with maybe one or 2 other items and in cold.

And then….this

It's a little hard to see here, but it looks terrible in real life.

It’s a little hard to see here, but it looks terrible in real life.

It got mixed into a full load of laundry somehow & washed in what was clearly water that was WAY TOO HOT for it. Now I have a weird looking pseudo-felted, cabled sweater. I’m not sure what to do with it. I worked too hard on it to be willing to just throw it away. What I know is that it sent me into a crafting & blogging funk the likes of which I haven’t seen in a couple years. Combine that with working full time and you can imagine how much I’ve gotten done.

BUT about 2 weeks ago I finally started to come out of it. I made a pair of baby pants, I finished the puppy hat of eternity, and I made a lovey blanket (pics & stories to come).

And now I have ideas…so many ideas! I have some really nice yarn that is just screaming to be used. A cowl, socks, washcloths…oh my. Now I just want to MAKE ALL THE THINGS!

On a separate note, what the heck does one do with a pseuo-felted, cabled sweater when it is totally unwearable?


Some days it’s just not meant to happen

This week I finished up a crochet hat/scarf combo. Actually, I’ve been doing a lot of crochet lately. So I decided that I wanted to do a quick knit project this week before starting on the 5 crochet hats I need to make for upcoming birthdays & orders.

I picked the Lacy Julian Hat. It’s a pattern I’ve done before. It’s super cute, can be worn by a number of sizes because it’s so stretchy. And it’s not hard.

Except this week it is. I don’t know why.

I started it last night. I had to cast on & rip out 3 times because for some reason I was incapable of counting 72 stitches. Then one of the sections just came out weird so I ripped that back. This afternoon I dropped several stitches and couldn’t figure out how to fix it without making it look like crap. So started the whole hat over again. For a 4th time.

And then I made a mistake that I have seriously NEVER made. I’m knitting in the round & I actually twisted the stitches so now I have a pseudo-möbius strip instead of a hat.

Clearly it’s just not going to happen tonight. It really must be time to go to sleep.

I hereby declare tonight a knitting FAIL!